Design & Visual Communications (CTE Credit)
This course is an introduction to Commercial Art including the history of visual communication, evolution of type, and how to communicate ideas with art, type and color using the design process. You will explore basic sketching skills, color theory, design principles, typography and learn to solve design problems, both in hand work and using computer software programs such as Illustrator and InDesign. You will learn hands-on and from observing/critiquing works of professionals and peers.
In this class you will develop essential design skills such as:
- drawing – line control, mastering light and depth, and inking for final work
- sketching – thumbnail sketching, idea generation, preliminary mock-ups
- color – theory, using color schemes, balance and contrast for visual communication
- typography – hand lettering, type design
- layout – Gestalt principles (space,proximity), working on the grid, visual composition using design principles
With these skills you will know how to design and visually communicate an idea or message to a specific audience, as well as provide a foundation for more advanced work. Those who complete this class will be eligible to take the full year course in Commercial and Advertising Art, the student-run design agency here at Herriman High School. It will also help increase success in Basic Film Photography and Basic Digital Photography.