BASIC DIGITAL PHOTO CHALLENGE
and the Exposure Triangle
Enhance your photos by using camera skills that create impact.
Use Shutter Speed and Aperture settings you can show motion, action and time in your image or focus on various depths of field to create interest or to enhance the point.
YOU WILL NEED TO TURN IN TWO PHOTOS FOR THIS ASSIGNMENT. One using Shutter Speed Priority settings, and the other using Aperture Priority settings.
How do you do it? Controlling what is sharp and what is soft or blurred in your shot takes skills with the camera settings, namely Aperture and Shutter Speed. Using Aperture Priority, you can size the opening in the lens to create varying depths of field (how much is in focus) to enhance mood, energy, or relieve distractions. With Shutter Speed Priority, you can manage how much movement is traced in an image, or freeze the movement altogether depending on the speed of the shutter.
There are three ways to complete this assignment:
- Capturing a MOMENT: Freeze an action using a fast shutter speed.
- Capturing TIME: Blur motion by using a slow shutter speed capturing a sequence of time.
- Capturing MOVEMENT: Follow motion, keeping the subject in focus while blurring the background.
There must be SOMETHING in focus in your shot, either the background or the subject.
Use a DEEP Depth of Field (small aperture) to create multiple sharp layers in focus from foreground to background. Layer it DEEP!
Use a SHALLOW Depth of Field (large aperture) to create a point of focus leaving a blur in the foreground/background.
- Skills with Shutter Speed to show motion or time.
- Using contrast to focus on your subject, or creating rhythm or purpose within the movement.
- Skills with Aperture to show various depths of field.
- Use both skills to enhance, create impact and interest.
- Proper composition rules.
UPLOAD CHALLENGE PHOTO
YOUR PHOTOS MUST HAVE YOUR NAME AND COPYRIGHT EMBEDDED FOR CREDIT.
- Download your photoshoot to a new collection in Lightroom (name it with the assignment). Before clicking the import button, be sure to select your Filename Template and fill out the Custom Text with the assignment name. Also, select your Metadata Preset to embed your copyright info with your photos.
- BEFORE EDITING, create a contact sheet in the Print Module using your template and print it.
- Develop/Edit your selected photo(s) and print it with your 8×10 template.
- Title your photo(s) and write your Artist’s Statement in the comments section in the Metadata tab (in the Library Module of Lightroom).
- Export your edited photo(s) to the Hand-in Folder and upload it to this album.
- Turn in your COMPLETED Assignment Sheet with your Contact Sheet and 8×10 Print(s) in a sheet protector to the turn-in Folder BEFORE DUE DATE to receive a grade. Grades are not issued if incomplete.
YOUR FILE MUST BE NAMED CORRECTLY USING THE FILENAME TEMPLATE:
- Client Basic Digital Photography
- Date October 14, 2016
- Tags BDP Challenges
Comments are closed.