Skill Builder 3
Layer Blend Modes and Texture Overlays in Photoshop
- Adding New (empty) Layers
- Layer Fills (Option Backspace)
- Layer Blend Modes
- Foreground/Background Color (Tool palette)
- Layer Opacity (Layers Palette)
- Blur/Gaussian Blur
- Applying and Blending Textures
- Layer Masks
- Eyedropper Tool (sampling color)
First, watch the two videos below for a demonstration. Make notes of the tools they use.
Then, using one of your photos from this semester:
- Use blend modes to enhance your photo as demonstrated in the videos.
- Add and overlay a texture to your photo using blend modes. Mask where needed.
- Save the PSD file in your assignments folder, then output a JPEG and turn it in to the Trapane Hand-in Folder.
Use textures located in: StudentCommon/Trapanes Room/Textures.
Free texture images can also be found at LostandTaken.com or freestocktextures.com.
FREE Texture Images
Click on the links below to open the video viewer:
[video_lightbox_youtube video_id=xbU3C_2v_qU width=720 height=480 anchor=”Layer Blend Modes”]
[video_lightbox_youtube video_id=2M95qhgD2GE width=720 height=480 anchor=”Texture Overlays”]
For more advanced techniques, check out these videos:
Using blend modes to replace a sky
How to Add a Background Texture to a Portrait in Photoshop