SB1-The Selection Tools
First, watch the two videos below for a demonstration. Make notes of the tools they use.
Then, using one of your photos from this semester:
- Use an appropriate selection tool to select a subject in your photo as demonstrated in the video.
- Use the “Refine Edge” button (MENU: Select>Refine Edge or CMD+Option+R) with the Smart Radius selected and clean up the edges with the Refine Radius brush. This will soften the edges so it won’t look “cut out.”
- Before selecting OK, select “New Layer with Layer Mask” in the OUTPUT selection menu. Then press OK. You should now have two layers.
- You can clean up the mask with the brush tool if needed (be sure you have the layer mask selected). Or use the Select>Refine Mask on the menu.
- Create a new Adjustment Layer BETWEEN the two layers (via the Adjustments Palette) to modify the background layer.
- With the Adjustment Layer selected, use the Properties Panel to distinctly change the background to highlight the subject on the top layer.
- When finished, save the PSD file in your assignments folder, then output a JPEG and turn it in to the Trapane Hand-in Folder.
Click on the links below to open the video viewer:
[video_lightbox_youtube video_id=xbU3C_2v_qU width=720 height=480 anchor=”Layer Blend Modes”]
[video_lightbox_youtube video_id=NTzeTBk2b_o width=720 height=480 anchor=”Refine Edge”]
For those who want to see more advanced techniques, check out these videos: